New Intimacies: Changing Interactions in the Victorian World
deadline: 6 February 2017
Victorian Studies Association of Ontario
Saturday 29 April 2017
The theme of the 2017 VSAO conference is “New Intimacies: Changing Interactions in the Victorian World.” Professors Jason Camlot (Concordia U) and Seth Koven (Rutgers U) will serve as our two plenary speakers.
We invite proposals that interpret the conference theme in broad, interdisciplinary, and imaginative ways. Papers might address:
– transformations in colonial or global encounters
– “other” Victorians, alternate relationships and/or sexualities
– technologies of communication such as telegraphy and voice recordings
– new social structures, associations, forms of belonging or membership
– new arts of intimacy or intimate arts
– the science or literature of speaking, hearing, listening
– alternate or novel media
– new forms of proximity or familiarity
– voices of the inanimate, nonhuman, or supernatural world
Please send electronic copies of proposals (300–500 words) and brief biographical statements (100-150 words) to Tina Y. Choi <firstname.lastname@example.org> by 6 February 2017.